Sunday, January 17, 2021

Journal 2 entry from Fatima

 



Hello everyone! My name is Fatimata Cisse. I am a freshman at Ohio state this year. I am majoring in Political science. I am originally from the country of Mauritania. My family moved to the United States, (Maryland) when I was 8 from France. Afterward, we moved to OH when I was 14.  Some of my hobbies include writing,  painting, watching Tv, and dancing. I love to read. One of my favorite books of all time is “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho. My favorite subjects in school include government and history. Some fun facts about me are that I love theater and fashion. Another fun fact about me is that I like community service projects. I love listening to music. I think this is about it.

   The theme that stood out to me so far from reading “The House On Mango Street” by Sandra Cisneros is that of shame and poverty and how it takes a toll on self-esteem. In the book, Esperanza is ashamed of her house, and where she lives. She states the laundromat owner made her feel like she was nothing after pointing at where she lived. Also, Esperanza states she would like to baptize herself under a new name because the kids at her school say her name funny. Also whilst on the theme of shame, while Esperanza is about to introduce herself to Rachel and  Lucy she thinks about how she wishes her name was anything but Esperanza. She continues and says her sister Magdalena has an uglier name but at least she can come home to the name Nenny.

 I think that this theme is sad but very common. I think that many people with “uncommon names” or “different names” can relate. I had a phase when I too didn’t like my name. I think it had to do with my name having too many syllables. I think it had also to do with kids trying to be funny and trying to find something to laugh at. I did however never let that get to me personally, and I love my name.

   One of my favorite passages was titled “Cathy Queen of Cats”. Cathy herself seems to be very critical of her neighbors and seems very judgmental. She has a bad connotation or story for every person in the neighborhood it seems. Cathy tells Esperanza she’s only her friend until next Tuesday when she moves down farther mango street to get away from people like her. I think Cathy is an example of an individual whose situation is not much better than Esperanza’s but still finds a way to be disrespectful. 

    I picked this as one of my favorite passages because it shows the different types of people that live in the neighborhood. I find it quite interesting that Cathy is so against people like Esperanza but still communicates with her. It also is a good indication of perhaps Esperanza growing as a character and finding more positive people to be around.

6 comments:

  1. I think its so cool you travelled here from two different countries! Do you remember much about them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fatima your story is awesome. Do you ever see yourself traveling back home or have you since moving to the states? I also see you are a fashion buff, I could always use a little help in that field, my boys constantly tell me I have no “swag”.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Fatima, to start with, one of my good friends, her name is Fatima, so I think you have a great first name. Now we got that out of the way. Your major, Political Science – I'm working towards my degree in International Studies, but Political Science is still an option for me.

    I like your insight into the theme of shame and poverty in the book we're reading, The House on Mango Street. I agree with you 100%. You mention the character, Cathy, and her being judgmental. I see that as a recurring theme, but I believe that's a coping mechanism for her shame.

    For example, If she displaces judgment on others and raises her class status in her mind, then she isn't poor like the other people living on Mango Street.

    If you still need to comment on a post, I'd like to hear your opinion on what I wrote

    Either way, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ! I think that it’s really cool that you grew up in France! Do you like living in the US or Europe better? I can totally relate to what you said about having an uncommon name. Whether it be mispronounced or misspelled, it’s frustrating all around.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.